In my opinion one of the coolest feature of smartphones is geolocation. But why is it not yet available in every laptops? It's amazing when you think about all the ways developers could take advantage of it. Here are just a few examples of the top of my head:
- Select automatically the current date, time, time zone.
- Choose your default printer (e.g. home or office).
- Mitigate WiFi network spoofing (instead of remembering SSIDs, your computer should really remember SSIDs at a given location).
- Find your lost/stolen laptop.
- Switch to local news, weather, sport, search etc. in one click.
Some of these features are already available using certain operating systems or software utilities but they usually rely on some guesswork based on your network address etc. Why not use a real GPS, or even better, both! We still have a long way to go. Your ideas are welcome in the comments (but then don't sue me if somehow still your idea).
Short URL for this post: http://lepl.us/1a